History - Mazmullar
To the west of Comares and overlooking the nearby village of Los Ventorros, Mazmullar rises out of the Solano Valley like a scene from "The Land That Time Forgot". The rock plateau is littered with the remnants of occupations by ancient civilisations including the Moors and Romans.
The land has been worked for centuries by locals but it wasn't until 1907 that an uprooted tree revealed artifacts from Arab times including storage jars, oil lamps and other receptacles. The discovery prompted an archaelogical investigation the following year by Rodrigo Amador de los Rios who discovered graves, silos, remains of wine and olive presses, oil and water depositos (storage tanks), household pots, jars and an impressive underground aljibe (rainwater storage tank) with an Arabic inscription over one of its arches. The alijbe was recognised as a rarity because of its unusual design and the inscription.
Rodrigo's notes refer to an earlier publication in 1862 by Francisco Javier Simonet who suggested that Mazmullar was part of the 9th century 'kingdom' of Omar Ibn Hafsun, the rebel leader opposed to the Califs of Córdoba. However, it was not until 1931 that the aljibe was officially recognised and designated a 'Monumento-Artistico National'.
Between 1976 and 1978 three expeditions headed by archaeologists from Barcelona, Granada, Madrid and Málaga Universities worked here. Their notes, findings and photographs were published in the journal Mainake, 1980-1981, no. 2-3, 'Marmuyas: un despoblado medieval en los Montes de Málaga". Much of what follows is extracted from this work and from what can still be found there today.
Created by Axident Web Design with the help of the people of Comares